Friday, October 10, 2014

Day 5: Goal setting + my 2014 goal updates!

Not much has been more motivating to me in this journey as goal setting. I love setting goals and since I'm competing against myself it gives me the extra drive to get going without the temptation to compare myself to others. Like most of us out there, I have always made lots of fitness and weight loss goals around the new year. In the past I've done great for about the first month, only to to eventually give up and let them fall by the wayside.

This year I did things a bit differently and so far have had great success sticking with my goals and keeping them in mind. Here are the steps I followed that (so far) have worked great for me!

  • Set multiple, obtainable goals - for instance, instead of setting out with my only goal to lose 100lbs, I set multiple, smaller weight-loss goals. For me this helps keep me from getting discouraged because I am soooo far away from achieving it. Plus, it is SO motivating to be able to check things off my list! 
  • Make your goals 'public' - This is pretty much the whole point of this little blog I have here. When your goals are public you are holding yourself accountable to whomever you decide to share them with. Your goals are usually a very personal thing, so I use the term 'public' lightly
  • Set daily or weekly goals that will help work towards you main ones - Little things like getting your 10,000 steps in a day, or refusing to take the elevator this week at work can help you work towards many of your health and fitness goals! 
  • Write them down and keep them visible! - Out of sight out of mind right? 
  • Take pride in your accomplishments, and don't get down if you don't accomplish everything - When I am finally able to cross a goal off my list it gives me such a sense of accomplishment. However, there are some goals on my list that I probably won't get around to this year. O well, they'll make perfect 2015 goals! If I accomplished everything then they were too easy right?! 
**And now my updated 2014 goals! I was able to cross a few more off my list and am getting closer and closer to some more of them! Come at me December 31st!

Weight Goals 
  1. Lost 15 lbs 12/4/13
  2. Lose 20 lbs 12/8/13
  3. Lose 50 lbs 2/19/14
  4. Lose 70 lbs 7/11/14
  5. Lose 85 lbs 
  6. Lose 100 lbs
  7. Reach goal weight of 150

Fitness Goals 
  1. Run a mile without stopping   1/16/14
  2. Race another 5K   4/12/14
  3. Run 5 miles without stopping 5/31/14
  4. 365 miles for 365 days 8/25/14 [403 miles so far in 2014!] 
  5. Run a mile under 10 minutes [Current time 11:46!] 
  6. Race my first 10K 
  7. Complete Jillian Michaels 30-day Shred 
  8. Go running with my husband and actually make him try
  9. Complete an overnight backpacking trip 

General Goals
  1. Get out of the morbidly obese category 2/24/14
  2. Stop shopping at the plus size department 8/10/14
  3. Get out of the obese category

Happy goal setting!
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment