Thursday, October 2, 2014

Day 2: Group fitness classes

Yesterday marked day 1 of both the 31 days of writing challenge and my personal goal of moving my arse intentionally everyday.  I chose to go back to one of my favorite group fitness class called Core & More. Back when I was still a student I took the opportunity to get a bunch of punch cards at the student pricing before graduating. (score!) What I love about the punch cards is that they take a whole year to expire! This way I don't have to worry about paying for a full class with my variable schedule.  As you can see I don't go often, but it is always well worth it when I do.



I used to be SO intimidated by these classes!  It didn't take long to realize that I wasn't being judged, that my body was capable, and that it was a really fun way to get through a workout that I probably would have skipped otherwise. I tend to lean towards taking a class on days where I'm just not feeling that motivated. No one is going to know if I skip out on my treadmill workout early, but if I leave the group workout in the middle there are sure to be questions. (usually a kind instructor making sure I'm not injured). Plus, whenever I start to feel like I just can't do it anymore I look around and get super motivated by the other people sweating it out. In reality I'm sure it's the competitive side of me coming out. I'll push myself a little further and harder just to make sure I'm not the first one to drop the weights or a take a break.

If you're considering going to a group fitness class for the first time I'd highly recommend it! I am in no way an expert, but below are some tips that I would share to anybody interested!

1. Don't be nervous! In my experience the environment has always been very supportive. If you are nervous ask some friends who have gone before or recruit some to go with you! Don't worry that you won't be able to complete the workout. First check that the class isn't something like 'advanced only' and then any good instructor will suggest ways to modify the exercises to various abilities.

2. Arrive early. This way you can meet with the instructor and see if there is anything you should know before class. Explain that this is your first time and you want to be prepared.

3. Start with lighter weights and then move up if needed. There is nothing worse than shredding your muscles 10 minutes in and then feeling like a limp noodle the rest of the class!

4. When choosing what to wear, go with functionality over cuteness. Everyone is too busy working out out to care about what you're wearing. Might as well be comfortable!

5. Have fun! Enjoy yourself, get a good workout, and give the class a few tries before making a solid decision on if you like it or not.

Hope you all have a blessed day!
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment