Thursday, December 8, 2011

A new beginning

Today I guess I would say that I had a wake-up call. I got up today and got ready for an interview with michigan tech summer youth programs. As usual before an interview I started to think about how I wanted to come across as a person. I wanted to appear happy, healthy, energetic, excited about life. That is when it hit me. I am for the most part a happy person, but I am NOT healthy, NOT energetic, and I wasn't excited about what the day would bring.

I got ready for my interview. It was on campus and I usually walk because parking is nearly impossible. I live about a 1/2 mile away. During my walk to campus I noticed that I was getting passed by many other people. This is normal for me and I usually just blow it off saying it's because I have short legs. Today it started to bother me a little, and I decided to try to walk faster. I seemed that no matter what I was still getting passed by other students! I arrived at my interview a little flustered and sweaty, despite the fact that it was 5 degrees outside during my walk. I put on my smile, and told them how I would be a good counselor for them this summer.

After my interview I started thinking.... Yes, I believe that I am a good choice as a counselor, but I could be much better if I got my health and weight under control. Wouldn't I be so much more fun if I wasn't huffing and puffing after just a short walk or small hill? What if they want to play basketball or soccer? Oh yeah, I have some work to do!

So here it is!! I have decided that it is time to actually do something about this! Physically I just am not the person who I want to be. So it's time to make a change. It's time to start moving more. It's time to start watching what I eat, and learning more about my body. I am ready to do this. It's time for a new beginning.

I have tried doing this before, and have always gotten discouraged, given up, and fallen back into my old habits. Here is where I am asking you guys to come in. I would absolutely love prayers, advice, and support from anybody willing to give it. I want this time to be different. I am not going to do this alone. :)

3 comments:

  1. Sarah! I am so proud of you and excited for you! You CAN and WILL do this! I will be praying for you as you start your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah,

    The Livestrong webiste has some amazing tools to change to a healthy lifestyle. I strongly recommend it and you can register through facebook so it's super easy!

    http://www.livestrong.com/woman/

    They post all sorts of useful articles on being helathy. You can also track your exercise and water intake and calculate your bmi. My favorite part is called myplate where you can enter in what you eat each day and if it's a brand name food, it will find all of the nutritional facts for it and then you can see your daily calorie count, protein levels, etc.

    I hope it helps! Good luck!

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been where you are and the best thing I can tell you is to stick to it. Start small, don't expect to move mountains in days. If I had even though about attempting the kind of workouts I do today when I started I think I would have quit and cried. The other side of that is challenge yourself I see a great number of people at the gym who are never sweating and never putting in much of an effort. They go on the treadmill on the flat setting at a comfortable walking pace for 20 minutes and they're done. Some days it's going to hurt and suck but if you push through those days you end up in a good place. Also as you push yourself harder at working out you'll get stronger and be able to do a harder workout in less time.

    I lost 120 pounds working out over the course of a year. I had a moment just like yours where I realized I didn't like portion of who I have become. It can be done fitness is a habit you just have to get into it.

    -Darin

    ReplyDelete