Friday, January 17, 2014

Those NSVs or Non-Scale Victories

Anyone who has ever followed any type of weight loss program knows that there will be a point where you will stall. In the past those stalls have been devastating for me. If I had a week with no loss or if it went up I automatically felt like a failure. As an emotional eater this threw me right back in the cycle of depression, eating, and gaining back all the weight. This time as I approach a stall I know I need to put away that evil scale and focus on those non-scale victories. A NSV can be anything from getting a compliment at work to fitting in your clothes better. These victories can be GREAT motivation when the scale isn't. After all this journey is about much more than losing weight, it's about getting healthy. If you are struggling with a stall or anticipate one coming up in the future I strongly encourage you to focus on those NSVs with me, and if you can try putting the scale away for a few weeks.

My NSV this week came from going to the gym when I knew I didn't have much time before I had to go to work. I didn't have enough time to do my planned C25K workout so I decided to attempt to run a mile and time it. I have had a goal to run a mile without stopping for a while now. I have been about to do it in the past, but it was always at a speed where I felt like I was doing more of a bouncy walk than a run. I  never remember having a timed mile of under 15 minutes. To my amazement not only was I able to run a mile, but I was able to do it in 13:37. A new personal record for me! How many morbidly obese people can run a mile in 13 minutes ;-) I am very proud of this victory. I am now able to cross off #1 on my fitness goals page. #2 is running a mile under 10 minutes, which is something I hope to accomplish by the time I hit my goal weight.

~Don't be afraid to push yourself, you may be surprised about what you can accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment