Thursday, December 5, 2013

Full liquid diet + update

For the last 2 weeks or so I have been on a full liquid diet. The first 5 days were pre-op, and I tell you that was HARD. I was SO hungry, and everyone around me seemed to be eating delicious food that I knew I wouldn't be able to eat for a very long time. There was even a trip out to Applebees for lunch after church, where I gladly found out that their tomato basil soup was amazing. To start, let me list the things that I am allowed on my full-liquid diet.


  • Skim milk
  • Protein shakes
  • Soups: broth, cream of tomato, low fat cream soups- nothing with noodles or chuncks
  • Sugar free popsicles
  • Sugar free pudding
  • No sugar added or light greek yogurt - no fruit chunks 
  • Cream of wheat
  • Instant mashed potato flakes 
  • No sugar added applesause
  • Crystal light or other 0 cal and 0 sugar drinks

With this diet I am supposed to get in 75 grams of protein, and 64oz of water. I am struggling a lot with my goals. My best protein day was 66 and the most that I have gotten in was about 40 oz of water. Since the surgery, the difficult part of this diet has switched from the hunger, which I no longer have, to simply getting in the volume of liquid that I need. It takes me about an hour to get down 8 oz! I'm pretty sure I have to start getting in 3 shakes a day, but my tummy isn't quite having it at the moment. 

I have been using myfitnesspal.com to track my intake during the day. It's free and keeps track off all the calories, nutrients, and water that I take it. The best part is that you can customize your nutrition goals to whatever you need. It also has a mobile app for my phone with a barcode scanner that makes entering my food VERY easy. Lastly it can keep track of your weight and measurements. I would highly suggest this for anyone wanting to keep track of their nutrition. It's a great tool! 



This week I have continued to feel great. I am off all of my pain meds and have been getting around to my classes with no problem. Even though I don't have any hunger, I still get some physical signs of it if I forget to eat (fatigue, lightheaded, grumpy). I most definitely still have cravings as well, but for the most part they are changing. For instance, I am living for the day where I am allowed to eat a cheese stick, where a month ago the only comfort food I would ever want would be ice-cream! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! I'm glad you've been feeling good this week, and that you've been able to get around to your classes. I will be praying that you're able to get down all the liquid you need to. I am so proud of you, sister! Keep up the great work. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete