Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Week one of classes

 Well honestly things haven't been going as well as I had hoped they would. I haven't been able to figure out a regular workout schedule. This has led me to not getting much exercise at all. At least I live off campus and walk to school each day. I live a little less then a mile away so at least I get some walking in. I have a goal of running 365 miles this year but I am not going to count my walk to school in that. I will count some walking but only if it it is part of a running workout. So, day 18 into the year and I have 0 miles done.. oops. It's time to get going on that! A one mile a day average should be doable. What I think will help a lot is if I can find a spot to put exercise in my schedule. I am a huge planner and am extremely reliant on a schedule in order to be productive. I think that if I see exercise on my calender I will see it more as something that has to get done before I move on to the next thing.

Another thing that has been a huge struggle for me is my diet. Being a college kid I am basically broke and have no time. This is the worst combination for eating healthy! I have found myself shopping for foods that are quick and easy like a frozen pizza. I know this food is horrible for me and full of nasty chemicals. When I was watching biggest loser the other day they were saying how your diet is truly 1/2 the battle toward losing weight. no wonder I have trouble! I think that maybe I need to get a healthy cook book or something like that. That will help me with more healthy recipe ideas but I still struggle with finding time to cook proper meals and finding cheap healthy food. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions?


I recently joined a broomball team at my school in hopes it would be a fun form of exercise. I had never played before and I was super nervous! For those of you who don't know broomball is played almost exactly like hockey but you don't wear skates and you use brooms instead of hockey sticks. It is still played on an ice rink though!  Here is a picture of how it is played



I played my first game last night and even though I was only on the ice for about 10 minutes I am very sore. This is probably a result of falling so much. Even though I sucked pretty bad and we lost our game horribly I still had a lot of fun and am looking forward to the next game! I defiantly got a workout too :) The most difficult thing for me was getting out of the rink. Time to do some push ups and practice my jumping :)

Though this first week has been tough I know that I can't get discouraged. The path to health and fitness is not an easy one and I am learning that very quickly. I just need to take it one day at a time and not give up. I am so grateful for all the support I am getting :)

4 comments:

  1. Broomball looks like it will be a great workout, and so much fun!

    No, definitely, don't get discouraged. Try to get that schedule worked out, and then, hopefully, things will fall into place. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I can get it figured out soon! Working on the schedule tonight :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah! Don't get down on yourself. Each day is a new start! You can do it! I just came across this website the other day that has healthy recipes. Its www.skinnytaste.com. It has some low fat recipes. Also, I've been making smoothies lately. :) Mix some frozen fruit, low fat yogurt, and milk and you've got yourself a healthy smoothie. I've been buying bananas, cutting them up and freezing them because they are relatively inexpensive. Frozen strawberries (no sugar added) can be affordable too if you find them at the right place.
    I agree, that if you schedule working out in your calendar, and treat it like a class that you CAN'T MISS, I think you'll have fun getting to check it off your to do list each day. You can do it Sarah! One day at a time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to respond to this one, too, when I get a chance! I have some pretty good tips for ya. :)

    ReplyDelete