Saturday, January 21, 2012

Speed

A few nights ago I went up to the fitness center around 11pm. I honestly was shocked to see that there were a ton of people there! It must just be a good time for students to go workout after they have finished all of their other commitments during the day. I told myself going into it that I was going to do at least 2 miles on the treadmill to go toward my 365 miles in 365 days goal. One thing that has always bothered my about running is that I feel so slow. Most people talk about how much they hate the treadmill and running inside, but mentally it feels good just not to be passed all the time :) One time this summer I was running out by the portage canal and actually got passed by a few people walking! This bothered me a lot at the time, and I actually stopped running to see if my walking was faster ( it wasn't lol). Now I realize that speed isn't the important thing at all, but it is something that I would like to work toward getting a little better at. During this last workout I started to play around with the different speeds on the treadmill. Usually my speed stays somewhere between... um an embarrassing 4-5 mph. I wasn't really doing anything consistent, but I just wanted to keep moving until I got the 2 miles in. I actually started to run above 5mph which is something I thought I couldn't do! It was an awesome feeling. Now that I know that I am capable there is a new goal. ;) The fastest mile that I have ever done was around 13 minutes in elementary school gym class. Sooo.................

New Goal : run a mile under 12 minutes! 



3 comments:

  1. Im sure you will get to your goal :) I hate being passed when walking LOL its soo embarrassing im such a slow walker but im noticing more and more as my weight is dropping im becoming a lot faster :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just started following your blog and can't wait to see your journey.

    Great job with the running... also push yourself harder than you think and you'll hit that 12-minute mile in no time!

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I am a student at Tech and just stumbled across your blog. I wish you well on your journey! You're doing an amazing job! Don't worry about the speed on the treadmill lol. I am slow, too, and I ran cross country in high school haha. I always feel like a slow poke at the gym, too! Have you tried the rowing machine? It's a great cardio and strength workout and there's no chance someone can "pass" you. :)

    ReplyDelete